By Martha Jacob –
At its June 20 meeting, members of the Western Brown School Board of Education heard a report from assistant superintendent Jina Bohl, on the success of the recent Summer Career and College Academy, held in conjunction with the Southern Hills Career and Technical Center.
“One hundred and thirteen eighth grade students from across the county attended this years Academy,” Bohl said. “Fifty-eight of those kids were from Western Brown.
“This is a four day academy that helps students make informed choices about their lives and the kind of work they may choose after high school.”
This year marked the second Annual Summer Career and College Academy which is funded brom a Duke Energy Foundation along with the Ohio Department of Education Community Connector’s grant and donations from community members, businesses and colleges.
In other board business, David Tatman, building/grounds/
transportation supervisor for the district, updated the board on ongoing summer projects going on in the District.
School Superintendent Raegan White talked briefly to the board regarding the most recent legislative and legal changes going on in Ohio.
The board accepted resignations from Jennifer Phillippo, Mt. Orab Middle School sixth grade teacher and Amy Lynch, Mt. Orab Elementary School fourth grade teacher.
Actions approved by the board included:
• Supplemental contracts (available upon request);
• Sub bus drivers/bus aides and sub custodians (available upon request);
• Employ Jeffery Fryman as high school biology teacher on a one year contract;
• Employ list of all Western Brown teachers, SCESC teachers and sub teachers at tutors and/or home instructors (available upon request);
• Approve participation in all state and federal programs;
• Approve administrators and non-union salaries;
• Approve sub cafeteria employees;
• Employ Andrew McFarland as Mt. Orab Elementary School Friday School teacher;
• Employ Kristi Lightner, Sarah Rutan as Mt. Orab Elementary School Summer Intervention teacher;
• Approve a building student information clerks, Brandi Hodges and Desiree Arn;
• Employ Angie Smith as RN-substitute school health nurse;
• Approve Jenette Cunningham as high school intervention specialist;
• Approve Ryan Rosselot for 60 days of extended time for the 2016-2017 school year;
• Approve Lilly Cook as 7th and 8th grade volleyball coach;
• Approve DECA camp overnight field trip, the final list for the class of 2016 graduates and approve a Memorandum of Understanding with the Brown County Health Department;
• Approve new policy on school counselor evaluations and revisions to 5517;
• Approve student handbooks, advances, the FY 2016 appropriations, the FY 2016 amended certificate and the FY 2017 appropriations;
• Approve a depository agreement with Peoples Bank;
• Approve an agreement with Therapy Source.